The Club was established in 1929 as an association of old scholars from The West Bridgford Grammar School which was at this time located on Musters Road and subsequently moved to the Loughborough Road site in the 1940’s. Cricket was played at various locations before the purchase of the Stamford Road ground in 1957.
Below is a copy of the original programme for the opening of the new ground on 18 July 1959.
1959 – THE MEMORIAL PLAYING FIELDS, Stamford Road, is the Association’s tribute to the memory of those Colleagues who gave their lives during the war of 1939/1945. We feel that a playing field is a happy choice which many can enjoy and help run and maintain.
We were fortunate to acquire the freehold of these eight acres so conveniently situated on the fringe of West Bridgford, although the field today bears little resemblance to that originally purchased. It was soon put under the plough, then carefully leveled, treated and sown with selected seed and our new ground took form. Equipment was purchased, including a tractor, gang mowers and roller – and this in turn necessitated garages to house them – a turfed cricket square and concrete practice wicket were laid and entrance gates erected. The first phase of our project could not be considered complete without a club house and the Committee felt that this should be of permanent construction designed in two parts, the first to provide essential changing accommodation and amenities for the sports sections and the second meeting rooms and tea rooms to be added when finances permit.
Opening Day sees our Ground in use both for summer and winter sports with a cricket, rugby and two hockey pitches and ample room for tennis and athletics. The turf improves with the constant care it will be considered to be one of the best club playing fields in the district.
The Committee responsible for the development of the Ground started with very little knowledge or money and the success of this scheme could never have been achieved without the much valued advice and support received from friends of the Association. Most generous help and donations have been received from old scholars all over the world, from parents of the present scholars, from local and City shops and other business houses, from the National Playing Fields Association, and countless others and all this help is most gratefully acknowledged. Our scheme is not yet complete and maintenance is costly but we are pleased to say that the expense of the scheme so far has been met almost to the full.
The resolve and determination to provide a worthy Memorial has been the inspiration behind our efforts and we trust that our pride in our playing field will be honoured and shared by future members.
In Memory of
|Leonard Eric Bignall||Kenneth Gray||Samuel Edward Pike|
|George Edwin Bradley||Roy Harley||Kenneth Albert Rivington|
|Arthur Leslie Brooks||John Ockelford Heath||Keith Robinson|
|Allan Edward Brown||Philip Hardy Hemsley||John Alan Rudd|
|John Francis Chell||Keith Wheatcroft Holmes||Walter James Savage|
|Clifford Clokie||Ian McConachie Hyem||Frank Stanley Scott|
|Kenneth John Cooper||Alan Cha’ve Jones||Frank Lill Shears|
|Francis Derek Crane||John Arthur King||Kenneth Albert Stokes|
|John Stewart Crane||Arthur William Martin||John Wynne Turner|
|Ronald Frank Culley||William Arthur Marwood||Kenneth Stanley Turner|
|James Robert Elding||Eric George Mason||Peter Eric Westby|
|John Thomas Flower||Frederick Alan Nelson||Cyril Bernard Whitby|
|Reginald Edwin Gale||Alfred Richard Harry Palmer||Bernard Eric Williamson|